Yamaha 4.4l DOHC V-8 (Volvo)
Latest addition to my my Ford Motor Company engine section: high-res images of the Yamaha 4.4l DOHC V-8 engine, as used in the Volvo S80 and XC90.
And possibly in the future Five Hundred and MK-S? The Five Hundred is an unknown (nothing announced), and the MK-S is officially only a concept. However, it’s been widely discussed for the Five Hundred and the MK-S with this engine is understood to be a 2008 production Lincoln (not a replacement for the LS, but larger).
Question is where the engine will be built for Ford & Lincoln usage: in the United States or will it be brought in from Japan at greater cost?
Street talk says this engine is related to the earlier SHO “Yamaha” engine. While the stroke is the same, the bore is far larger (entirely different bore spacing), the engine is architecturally very different (both blocks and head), it is cast entirely differently, and nothing else is in common. Certainly there are Yamaha family similarities here – Yamaha has been designed engines for Toyota, for example, for many years. But, these are not at all the same engine.
Related Posts on DrivingEnthusiast.net
- June 14, 2004 -- Deja Vu: Volvo to use Yamaha-sourced V-8 engine
- October 29, 2004 -- Volvo XC90 Gets a State-of-the-Art V-8
- February 1, 2006 -- New Volvo engines
- October 26, 2004 -- A new Volvo safety feature to help eliminate blind spots
- March 4, 2005 -- Evolve Volvo S40: camber anyone?
- December 16, 2005 -- SHOTimes: head comparison
- February 14, 2013 -- Toyota of Japan releases 31st Toyota 86 Touge drive video
- January 17, 2007 -- New GM DOHC V-8 in 2009
- October 10, 2005 -- Mustang-based Lincoln for 2009?
- April 3, 2007 -- Billy Ford loses half the Family money
- March 6, 2008 -- 2009 Nissan GT-R Overview
- June 4, 2011 -- SHO engine swap into Triumph TR7
- February 5, 2006 -- 650+ Miles in an ’06 Lincoln LS
- April 21, 2012 -- Lost Mustang History: Ford Designs an SLA and IRS for the SN95 Mustang
- November 30, 2011 -- Gen-V GM V-8 with Direct-Injection
- September 6, 2012 -- What if the RX-7 had continued being imported? Motortrend finds out
- May 1, 2012 -- Found on the road: early AE86
- November 18, 2006 -- Lincoln MKS – pointless
- October 10, 2005 -- Billy Ford: Report Card
- November 28, 2006 -- Mustang by Giugiaro – concept